Monday, March 23, 2015

Matters of the Heart

As I was getting ready for bed tonight the thought crossed my mind...what would I want my kids to know if I died. Sounds morbid right??..But honestly, we all have matters of our heart, dreams for them, hopes for their future...so I penned mine in their baby journals....Thought I would share some of mine:
  1. I believe in God. Go to church. Learn about his word. He will get you through the roughest seas. He will make the impossible, possible. Have faith. 
  2. Make good choices in friends. Don't hang out with kids/adults who make poor decision because you think you can help them make good ones. Odds are, you will make poor decisions with them before they make good ones with you.
  3. Go to homecoming, snowball, prom, football games, etc... enjoy every season of your life. 
  4. Don't worry about being popular or making the team. Just live your life. High school is a blip on the radar of life. You will learn so much but it's not everything. 
  5. Go to college. Big or small I don't care, just go. Find something YOU like...not what your friends or boyfriend are into. 
  6. Join an sorority/fraternity. You will make life long friends. They will be by your side even when years have passed and distance separates you. 
  7. Live a little before you get married. Marriage is forever; make sure you know who you are before you decide who you want. 
  8. Once you are married, TRAVEL. Enjoy being married before you have kids. 
  9. Protect your marriage...Guardrails; read about them; put them in place.
  10. If you choose to have kids, make sure you are ready. It's the most important job you will ever have. You don't want to screw it up.
  11. Go to counseling. You need it. 
  12. Put your cell phone/tablet/game system down.  Talk to your family and friends.
  13. Look people in the eye.
  14. Have a firm hand shake. 
  15. Believe in yourself.
  16. If you screw up, apologize. You will earn the respect of others by being humble.
  17. Don't sleep around. Nobody likes a ho or player. Just sayin'. 
  18. Don't dress trashy or with your underwear hanging out. Have more respect for yourself and those around you. Keep it classy.
  19. Cherish and nurture your friendships. You will need them every season of your life. 
  20. Enjoy your life. It goes by so fast. 
So many more but I picked out my fav's. When I think about parenting, I often think of all the time I have to teach them or tell them everything I need/want to. I pray I get the chance.

Think about it...what are some matters of YOUR heart you would want your kids to know? 

No comments:

Post a Comment